Ceftriaxone should be taken into consideration for Prophylaxis in abdominal, cardiovascular, thoracic, Orthopaedic, neurosurgical and general surgery.
- Covers gram + ve and gram - ve pathogens.
- Penetrates well and maintains higher concentration than MIC level.
- Can be co-administered with other antibiotics.
- Provides favorable and rapid response in neurosyphillis(Ref:Int J STD AIDS, 2005 Dec;16(12):832-4)
- For surgical prophylaxis :
- 1 gm single dose prior to surgery
- Meningococcal Meningtitis :
- Single IM dose or 250 mg in adults & 125 mg in children or as directed by the Physician Meningitis, Bacteraemia, Typhoid, Septicaemia, Pneumoniae and UTI.